Friday, August 21, 2015

Loaded Backpack, For "Forgotten Laughter" Series

Loaded up my small view camera backpack today. I plan on using this pack in the dump and elsewhere to help distribute the weight more evenly. The bag is relatively heavy (20lbs) but I think I should be able to handle it, even at 51 and even in the heat-humidity of Thailand. The really heavy part will be carrying the more awkward metal camera body and tripod/tripod head (another 20lbs) in my right hand or over my shoulder. I will be walking in the dump covered in flies with 40lbs of camera gear on me (more if I also take along a 35mm camera).

Possible ways to cut down weight include taking only 1 lens, and cutting the holders from 15 to 12 or 10. I might take 15 holders with me to Thai, then see how I do carrying them in the field. Maybe some days I can carry more with me, some days less. Having a few backups is always a good thing. I cannot buy new holders in Thai if any breakdown.

I need to push my self hard thou this trip, taking everything in the backpack and doing the whole 40+ pound option might lead to the highest quality images. The photographs are all that really matters in the end, a bit of suffering to achieve better pics is well worth it. Dealing with difficulties is part of the bargain in these ventures. Plus what I am going through is nothing compared to the life long hardships my subjects face. I am the very very lucky dude.

The backpack includes:

- Schneider 210mm lens f5.6
- Nikon 120mm lens f8
- Pentax spotmeter
- Dark bag
- Focusing loupe
- 2 cable releases, cleaning tissue
- 15-5x7 all plastic holder
- Small round reflector

Update* I will also have to figure out how to carry donations of food (heavy rice, canned fish) to the families and water for myself. I will need to carry a minimum of 2 bottles to help prevent dehydration. Sunblock is also a need, I usually apply that 2 or 3 times a day. A digi camera is needed as well as I use it to take id photos and also to give photo gifts to the people I photograph.

I think the backpack will be closing in on 25lbs now. Gosh I better work out some more, I feel a sore back already.

Loaded 20lb 5x7 backpack