Monday, August 17, 2015

Bomb In Bangkok Kills Many

A bomb exploded at the Erawan Shrine (Hindu) in Bangkok last night. The current list of injuries and deaths from the explosion is 20 dead and 123 injured. CNN is saying it was a 3 kilogram improvised devise of some kind. Probably a terrorist attack, details still unknown, this bombing targeted tourists and people praying. An indiscriminate, despicable, cowardly way to kill and maim innocent people. How many lives were destroyed? How many families affected? Why? For what reasons?

I have been to this shrine over 5 times, maybe as many as 10 times. Passed it in a taxi or bus probably dozens of times more. The shrine is located about 15 minutes walk from where I lived for 1 year in Bangkok in 1999. Directly across the street from the Erawan shrine is a police hospital I visited back in 2013. The shrine is a place for quiet reflection and thought alongside the chaos and noise of Bangkok traffic. This Hindu shrine (in mostly Buddhist Thailand) is very popular with local Thais and tourists because of its location at busy intersection and proximity to major shopping areas and hotels. When your at the shrine you will see Thais passing in taxis and buses on the nearby roads respectfully wai the statue (placing their hands together as in prayer).

Bombings are relative common occurrences in the South of Thailand (muslim groups fighting for independence) but rare in the capital, maybe that is changing now. My deep condolences to those who lost loved ones and those hurt in this attack. I will try and visit that area to pay my respects when I am in Bangkok soon.

Update: When I watched the initial video footage post attack I saw many bodies on the street covered in white cloth-sheets (body bags?). Now I keep wondering, is anyone I know under those cloths? Is anyone I know, am close to, and care about laying dead on the cold hard pavement under those white sheets?

Erawan Shrine Bangkok