Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wat Slum Children

Everywhere around the slum houses of Poipet I saw children. Some of the cutest faces you can imagine, with some of the most beautiful eyes I have seen. The girls often had their hair tied up in strange ways with elastics. The boys found things to play with amongst the garbage, old tubes became kung fu fighting spears, an old piece of wood became the latest automatic snipers rifle.

Behind one temple I photographed a number of children around some slum style homes. They all gathered round me as I photographed asking questions and mugging for the camera. I showed them how to use the Leica and they all got excited, everyone wanted a turn with the camera.

One girl of maybe 6 years old quietly worked in the back area of her home washing dishes as the others played. Another girl of maybe 11 came up to me with big eyes asking where I was from. Boys looked up at me (am 6 foot 2) like I was some kind of alien type being, they touched my arm, maybe to see if I was real.

I hope some of the photos made that day turn out, I want to return and hand out free laminated prints.