Monday, December 19, 2011

First Edmonton 1 Man Show?

On returning to Canada I accessed my website email and got some good news. I had submitted work for a show at the Kassa Gallery at the Jubilee Auditorium ( home of the Edmonton symphony, concerts, ballet, opera etc.), I found out on my return I got the show. At this point am not sure what the deal is, is it a 1 man show? A group show? How many photos? Will find out and post more details in the coming days.

The photographs in the show will be from my shoots in Klong Toey Slum in Bkk in 2010. Hopefully this will be my first 1 man show and will include over 20 large photographs.

Here is the email I received from the gallery while in Thailand.
-------------------------
Gerry, Hi.

I believe you are in Thailand now – I had hoped that my original email telling you that we’ve accepted your show would have reached you before you left, but, since I’ve not heard from you, I suspect it did not.

I am hoping that we can look at hosting your show in early 2013 in the Edmonton gallery – Can you let me know, when you return, if this will work for you?

Thanks, very much.
J
------------------------

I expect to be getting several rejection emails in the coming months. I have applied to 4 high end Canadian Museum/Galleries and expect those to be rejected. I will post those letters/emails as well.

At least the news today is a positive. I have a group show in Edmonton in April, a one man show in Bangkok sometime in 2012 and a 1 man (?) show in Edmonton at the Kassa in 2013. Things at the moment are looking up, it will be a blast to print the photos for all those shows, will be lots of work but also should be loads of fun! 

Am looking forward to printing the work and seeing how people respond to it. I am happy the people I photographed in the Klong Toey will be seen. I did more photos in Klong Toey this last trip, hopefully  I can include a few of those photographs as well.