Thursday, December 8, 2011

Banarama 2 Working Flawlessly

Shot only the Banarama 2 over the last 2 days. I have put maybe 75 sheets through the camera (Tri-x mostly and a few sheets of Portra). The camera has been a joy to use, I am still getting used to handling it in the field, and figuring out the most efficient way to carry and tranfer the film holders, dark slide efficiently etc.

Today I used the Banarama 2 in the gym and also in the drinking man area of the slum. I photograhed 4 different men in the drinking area/park and then photographed 10-15 people in the Muay Thai training gym. I shot mostly with the flash but also did several lanscape and a few portraits hand held without flash (F8 at 1/60).

One thing that worked quite well today is I used my new mini backpack for the first time (the backpack that was my check in bag that the original Banarama was stolen from!!). The backpack is one of those light weight one shoulder strap packs made by Lowepro. I cannot carry as many holders (16 versus 24 in my larger bag) but its so much easier to access the film holders without taking the bag off my back. I can also walk much longer and faster as the whole set up is much lighter, maybe 1/3 the weight of carrying the Linhof with tripod and holders, lens etc. I can shoot and transfer holders with one hand without taking the back pack off. Having the back pack strapped to me at all times might be a bit safer in the slum areas and also it helps keep dust and dirt away from the film.

As I gain experience with the Razzle cameras (have a 90mm and a 150mm close up focus cameras being made by Dean Jones) and backpack, I will be able to shoot more and more quickly and efficiently.