Thursday, April 21, 2016

Opera In The Streets

I was walking past the Vienna Opera house tonight and saw some chairs with people waiting in front of a very large LCD screen (the size they use in NFL football stadiums). I sat down and waited, after countless commercials the OPERA started up! Yes that's right Austian Opera in the streets of Vienna. It was a live feed from the current opera being shown inside the theatre. This is after all the home of Mozart who wrote some of the greatest operas ever created so I guess this all makes sense.

I did not really understand the story that well, it was being sung in Italian with subtitles in German, both languages I do not know. The nearest I could figure was that it was a story about a rich older man being used by a younger pretty girl. He seemed a sad desperate sort, she seemed haughty and full of herself. I did not watch long as I wanted to catch the tram back to my hotel before it got to dark. What I did see and hear (30 minutes or so), I quite enjoyed.

You got to love a city that shows free high art like Opera on its streets! I wish they did that kind of thing back home in Edmonton.