Thursday, April 21, 2016

Hard To Pee In Europe

One of the weird things I have learned about Europe is that it is hard to pee here. You usually have to pay a fee before you enter any public bathroom, 50 cents or 1 Euro. Quite often you will see people dancing from one foot to the other while trying to dig through the pockets and purses for change so they can enter the bathrooms to relieve themselves. Sometimes its a bit funny to watch focus frantically trying to find money so they can relieve themselves before any accidents happen.

Today when I was at a MacDonald's I had a equally weird toilet access experience. I bought a double cheese burger and asked how to get into the washroom. The boy hands me a receipt from the meal. What do I do with that? I figure the code 033 at the top must be for the high security bathroom door with combination lock keyboard that locked me out the last time I tried to enter. I go and try the code 1, 2 and then 3 times, nope cannot get in. Then I try 33, no that does not work. I go back and ask the boy what code to use? He points at some small hard to read numbers at the bought of receipt under the title "Toilet Code 2687A". I go back feeling a bit like a cat burglar with the secret combination to a high security vault filled with diamonds and rubies. I bend down and type the numbers and letter into the low silver shiny keyboard and pull hard, finally the door opens startling a young boy who was just coming out. Thank goodness my case was not an emergency. It took so long to enter I might have had an accident next to the dude eating his Big Mac.