Thursday, April 14, 2016

Email To UofA Museums

Here is an email I sent out about a submission opportunity. I hope something comes of this. I have to tell the story of the families back home, someway, somehow.

------------

Hello my name is Gerry. I am Edmonton born and raised and have my home there. I am currently writing you from MAE SOT THAILAND. Am laying here in my hotel room after a day of shooting when I came across your photo submission theme. 

My question is this, are you looking for pretty scenic postcard type photos? Or is my harder edged social documentary work OK to submit? I am currently working on two social documentary projects called "Families of the Dump" and "Forgotten Laughter" which deals with Burmese refugee families living and working in the garbage dump here. I have been photographing here for 3 years off and on and want to tell this story back home to the people in Edmonton and Alberta.

If this story does not fit into "Show Me Something I Don't Know" can I make another type of submission for a possible exhibition at the museum? The idea would be to show large traditional fiber b/w photographs along with video a written diary (my online blog) and found objects taken from the dump back to Edmonton. I want to really bring home the life the people live, the look, the movement and even the smells of this place.

Here are some links:
my blog with many stories
www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com
Video of life here at the dump
https://vimeo.com/116513737
YouTube channel
https://m.youtube.com/user/gerryyaum/videos
More photo look under Galleries, Forgotten Laughter
http://gerryyaum.wix.com/photo 

Thanks for your time, hope we work together to tell the families stories.

Gerry

Sent from my iPad