Saturday, April 9, 2016

First Day Back In The Domp: "Shell Shocked!"

Am overwhelmed a bit shocked at what I found today on returning to the dump. I have so much to write about that I do not know where to start.

The first thing that I saw which was a huge slap in the face was that 10+ homes were gone! Where were they? Nothing remained! The well was still there but noting else. Where were the families I had photographed just 4 short month ago? When I saw that empty space it was shocking, there was so much life there before, and now nothing! There was a nearby shanti lean-too type area nearby. I am not sure if this is temporary housing or just an area the workers spend time in during there work day, sorting bottles etc,

After asking question, lots of questions I learned that most of those families had been relocated. I am not sure if they still work the garbage or not. I found one man from that group of families in another part of the. He greeted me with excitement, calling out to me from the distance. He told me he lived alone now, not sure what happened to his wife and children. He asked me for some boots after showing me his old damaged pair, he needs Thai size 10 1/2.j

Update* After my second day at the dump I came to realize the shanty area is where the families sort their scavenging and rest during the hottest part of the day.