Friday, April 15, 2016

Crying Chemenko

Today I did another series of difficult photos of a crying baby. This time It was young Chemenko 2 years old.  He is the son of the bride and groom. His mother had left him standing alone outside their poor lean-to, he immediately started balling. He does know his name thou, when I called out to try and cheer him out he turned and looked at me strangely. I could hear him thinking"Who are you and why are you calling my name?"

This type of photograph has always troubled me ethically. To take it or not? The reality is that children often cry here, that they suffer and are deprived. Not showing that grim reality would make my work as a documentary photographer invalid. I need to show what life is like here for the families in the the dump, the true unvarnished reality.