Friday, November 13, 2015

Extra Service

There is a huge difference in service between different hotels in Bangkok. I just checked into a 4 star +place on Silom Road in the heart of Bangkok for a few free nights of 1st class living. At the front door men run to open your taxi door for you. The same men insist on taking your 55lb bag out of the taxis trunk themselves along with all your other bags. As soon as you sit down another member of the hotel staff offers you a cool lemongrass drink in a fancy martini glass.

Soon I will be in the Mae Sot dump, photographing families, men, women, the old and young who live in waste. The differences in life quality are surreal. Here in my world class Bangkok hotel my every need will be catered to, yet in the dump the Burmese refugee babies and children eat food found in garbage. The children sit in bamboo shacks covered in flies and dirt. In many ways the world is really f-cked up place!

I should be at the dump in 3 days.