Sunday, November 15, 2015

Dok Jai (Surprise)

The simplest things in Thai can be the most fun. Before getting on the bus at the station I ran off to the toilet (Thai English word for washroom). The charge to enter is 3 baht, I dropped down my 5 baht coin and the lady said ROR (wait, until she could give me change). I repeated ROR and she laughed with her friend. Then I as I walked in I was confused which direction I needed to go left or right to get to the right washroom. I heard some yelling behind me and turned to see some wild gesturing. I asked CHAI YOO NAI? short for POO-CHAI YOO TEE-NAI? (mans is where?). They laughed again and pointed me in the right direction.

On leaving the toilet one of the ladies said to me KHUNE MEE FAN PAK EE-SAN ROR? (You have a wife-girlfriend from Issan?). I told here MAI MEE (Not have.). She then asked TAUM-MAI KHUNE POOD PASA THAI GENG.? (Why do you speak Thai so well?. I told here POM REE-IN PASA THAI GUB PRAH ADJAUN TEE CANADA (I learned Thai from monks in Canada).

She understood what I said but remained standing with a surprised, bewildered look on her face as I ran off to my bus. It was all quite cute, a fun little conversational moment.

Note* The reason she guessed I had a girl from Issan was because Issan is the poorest province in Thai and where most Thai sec workers come from. Many Thais often assume that a farang male who can speak Thai is hooked up with a Thai bargirl who he learned the language from.