Thursday, November 19, 2015

Cockroach Love!

Already hobbled by the nail I continued to shoot this morning. At one point I returned to my tripod mounted Linhof 5x7 after making some Rolleiflex portraits. At the foot of my tripod a large brownish red cockroach was running about. I tried to push it way from my bag with my boot and with some effort it moved away.

A few minutes later I said "Min Gau Lau Bau" (hello) to a young man walking by. He looked at me with some alarm then quickly came up and tried to brush something off my shoulder. I did not understand what he was doing until I felt the sickly scampering of cockroach legs running up the back of my neck. He continued to try and brush it off and now I joined in. Mr. Cockroach eventually made it up to my hair and hat before I was able to fling it away.

Today was a rather difficult and dirty day in the dump but such is life there.

The one benefit of this icky event was that I learned the word (Burmese? Karen?) for cockroach, BOO-HUH.