Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Beauty Of Man

Looking through the 2011 work of Fazal Sheikh in his book "Portraits" is inspiring.

"Portraits" By Fazal Sheikh

FS captures so much beauty, so much humanity with his photographs. He can photograph someone in a refugee camp in Africa who is living under the most difficult conditions and yet capture their true selves.

I need to try to make those type of pictures. I have always felt that mankind is the most difficult and most inspiring subject for my photography. Whether I am photographing a ladyboy in Pattaya, a brothel worker in Laos, a Burmese child in Mae Sot or a Cambodian migrant in Bangkok I need to try and communicate their inner beauty, their true humanity as Fazal Sheikh does.

It is important to throw yourself into those worlds, to become indebted in those cultures, and then make photos of those lives. To do be able to create successfully I need time in those cultures, 3 months 6 months 1 year in a row. I need to become one with my subject.

Showing the beauty of mankind in your photographs, what a worthy way to spend what's left of my life. To be able to do that even to a small degree is such a joyful thing for me, it brings me so much internal piece and happiness.

Anyway thinking of the possibilities while spending my nights in a security guardhouse is exciting. I need to move beyond the thinking/planning and start the doing. Later this year that will happen.

2 Child Portraits by Fazal Sheikh