Sunday, April 12, 2015

Photo Story: Startled Boy

I photographed this young boy my last trip to Bangkok in November of 2013. Migrant workers come to Thailand from neighbouring countries like Laos, Burma and Cambodia looking for work in construction etc. The boy was living in this little migrant worker shanty town building near my hotel in Kong Toey. I think I surprised him because he came around the corner from his room and looked at me like I was an Alien or something. Life must be very difficult for these displaced children. I do not not know this child's entire story but I believe he came from Cambodia to be with his mother and father whro worked in Bangkok. Does he go to school? Does he have any chance to escape the poverty of his parents? Doubtful.

Tech Details: Leica M6 with 35mm lens. Tri-x at 200 ASA developed 12 minutes 30 seconds in D-76 2/1, 20C.

Young Cambodian boy in migrant housing area, Bangkok Thailand  2013