Monday, April 6, 2015

Shriek Of Joy

This talk of found money has me thinking back to something that happened back in the Mae Sot dump. I am not sure if I have written about his before or not but here it goes.

It was in November of 2013 during my second series of trips to the dump that this little event happened. I was photographing a group of people when all of a sudden there was a shriek of joy (yes a shriek!, a loud crying type yell). I looked over and one of the middle aged male workers was waving a 20 baht note in the air. He had been looking through a bag he found and in this ladies bag was the 20 baht note (around 70 cents Canadian).

I remember he held the note up high and said a bunch of stuff in Burmese that I did not understand. All the others in the same group looked up with a bit of envy at his little found free money treasure. Imagine what he would have done if he had found the equivalent of 50 dollars Canadian in that bag.