Monday, April 6, 2015

HASSELBLAD 120MM F/4 CF T

I am thinking of buying another used Hasselblad lens, this one is the 120mm F/4 CF T. The price of the lens varies greatly on eBay from $399 to over $1000 USD. The advantages over my current 150mm blad lens would be less weight 785g to 695g and closer focusing from 1.35 meters to 0.8 meters. By being physically closer to my subject while photographing I find helps with the positive vibe of the session, your allowed to interact with your subject better, there is more of a connection.

The 120mm is supposed to be one of the sharpest lens ever made by Hasselblad.  I might be using this lens for hundreds of head and shoulder portraits in Asia. Am not sure if it is worth the investment. I am trying to reduce my expenditure on more gear, $500 or 600 CAD would allow me to by lots of film! Or pay for over 1/3 of my next plane ticket to Asia.

I think I need to experiment with the 80mm at F2.8 first to see what kind of focusing distance, distortion and bokeh I get. Maybe I can also use my extension rings for the right effect. There is also a 100mm F3.5 version lens available from Hasselblad.

 Hasselblad 120mm F/4 CF T