Thursday, December 11, 2014

Link: Todays Work

The photo I am printing today (in between dance sessions) is one of the key images of the exhibition. The photograph is going to be used as one of the poster photos Larry plans to exhibit in his shop windows. He is going to exhibit 4 very large posters in his windows to advertise "Life On The Margins", two of his and two of mine, this neg is one of the two photo of mine that will be shown.

The printing of this photograph is rather straight forward here are are the details so far.

Camera: Leica M6 with 28mm Lens.
Film: Tri-x exposed at 200 ASA.
Film Development: D-76 2/1, 12 minutes 30 seconds.
Printing Steps: Ilford warm tone 16x20 fibre paper, Durst 1200 condenser enlarger, 50mm El-Nikkor lens. Dectol 1/1 for 4 minute development.

- 75 second exposure at F4 with Agfa filter #2.
- Dodge face and hair of subject -30 second spread with round dodging tool.
- Burn with mask number 1 + 50 seconds at F2.8, filter -1.
- Burn bottom of print 80 seconds F2.8, filter -1 with card.
- Burn right and left edges of print +30 seconds F2.8 filter (make sure sky only gets +10) -1 with card.

Attempt #1 woman working in dump alone, Mae Sot Thailand May 2013

I am washing the print then will let it dry before proceeding. I think I will need to dodge the face more and possibly burn sections of the garbage, the bag she is carrying and her clothing more. I might also have to lower the overall contrast 1/2 a grade. Tbere is also a stain on the print, probably from a dirty developer tray. Overall it is a satisfactory first attempt more work required thou. I should get this print tonight, and then will move on to another print. I am hoping to get through 4 prints by Monday morning but might have to settle for 3.

Here is a story I wrote about the lady who is working in the photograph. The blog entry was written at about the time I shot the photo. She was not in the dump when I returned for my second trip in November, am unsure what happened, her and her children were gone but the man I thought was her husband remained. One day the husband came up and asked me for a photo. I gave him one of his wife but he seemed unsatisfied. He must have wanted one of his children. Next trip I plan on taking him some of those photos. I wish I could speak to the people and understand more about their lives. I need to concentrate on learning my Burmese, I have gotten lazy of late in that regard.

Here is the story link I mentioned:

Hairpin Story