Saturday, December 13, 2014

Late Night Printng

I decided to push myself a bit tonight as I am running out of time to print the show. This print was made after I went out and had Ethiopian food (a first for me) and a photo group meeting. I did not get started till midnight and worked to around 3 am. Not that long a session but I was tired going in so that always makes things more difficult.

This photo is probably one of the better group working shots from the dump series. The negative is shot in fairly bright sun, I had trouble fighting out the contrast on it. One of the disadvantages of the condenser enlarger is you can only use plastic filters separated by 1/2 grades. I started with 1/2 grade which was to little contrast, then moved up to 1 1/2 which was way to much, on my 3rd attempt I printed with the number 1 filter (for the main exposure). I will wash it then let it dry to see where I stand.

If I am unhappy with the contrast I have two options, switching to Ilford filters from Agfa (not sure that will much of a different) or switching to my softer light Saunders LPL enlarger. I am worried I might lose some sharpness with the Saunders. There is much more control in regards to contrast with that enlarger as I have a dial contrast adjustmant multigrade head on it. I will probably have to switch enlargers, but that is for tomorrow.

Here is todays effort:

The printing of this photograph is rather straight forward here are are the details so far.

Camera: Leica M6 with 21mm Lens
Film: Tri-x exposed at 200 ASA
Film Development: D-76 2/1, 12 minutes 30 seconds
Printing Steps: Ilford warm tone 16x20 fibre paper, Durst 1200 condenser enlarger, 50mm El-Nikkor lens. Dectol 1/1 for 4 minute development.

- 90 second exposure at F4 with Agfa filter #1
- Dodge left figure 25 second spread with large round dodging tool.
- Dodge second left figure 15 second spread with large round dodging tool.
- Dodge second right head -10 small round dodging tool.
- Dodge first right head -10 small round dodging tool.
- Burn bottom of print 60 seconds F2.8, filter with card.
- Burn right and left edges (not sky) of print +60 seconds with large card, small card (blocking sky).
- Burn hat of second figure +50 seconds, with hole card.
- Burn mask #1 +250 seconds F2.8 Filter -1 with large card, small card.


3rd attempt Burmese workers in dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2013