Saturday, December 13, 2014

Edmonton Photographic Society Meeting

Tonight was another EPS group meeting. Were still in the introduction phase of things and tonight I got to see some of Tom's street photography. It was a nice meeting with lots of photographic discussion, plist camaraderie and joking.  Pretty much everyone showed up, a full house of 8 guys . This group is made up of heavy hitter talented pros types, I can learn lots from these fellows. One thing that is very strange is there are no primary landscape people at all, which is a bit refreshing, a nice change.

Another thing I like a lot about this current group over some of my earlier clubs is I am not the only documentary photography dudes.I met a new photographer to EPS tonight, Pieter who does documentary photographic work in Haiti and South Africa, pretty damn impressive. He has shot in the townships of South Africa and in the slums of Haiti after the hurricane. That level of commitment Pieter shows, and that all the photographers in the group seem to have is also very refreshing. They all put photography high up their life priority list.

My turn for hosting a meeting is long past due, but with dads health being so fragile I have put it off. Maybe the group will be satisfied for now with seeing my photos in the upcoming "Life on the Margins" exhibition. I think when I do host a meeting I will go through my whole photo history, from shooting heroin users in Oakland when I was 21 to my current work at 50 of dad and the "Families of the Dump" series. It might be fun to retrace all of that, I would need to keep my photo count and blabbering down to a minimum.