Monday, December 15, 2014

Complex Printing Ahead

I have two children in garbage negs I need to print for the show, but it will certainly be a challenge. The difficulty lies in blown out highlights. The dump negs are almost all hard to print, you have extremely harsh sun light, white bags and paper everywhere and subjects hiding in deep shadows. It is nightmare of film exposure and printing problems. Here are two masks that I cut today before going to work, these are future negs I need to print. All the cut out areas have terribly overexposed highlights. I would not be surprised if some of these areas require 5 minute plus burns at max aperture and softest contrast filtration. I do not see what I could have done different with these negs, maybe a bit less development of the film but with the negatives exposed for the shadows (main subject), overexposure of the highlights was inevitable. If I would have cut down to much on the film development I could have lost my subject detail in the shadows. I think burning the highlights during the printing is the best solution and I did as well as I could with this difficult light. I think if I had these to do over again I would do everything exactly the same technically.

Two cut masks

Update* Going over my dump prints so far and including the ones I want to do, I think I will be over the max 14 photos I have space for. I will need to make some difficult cuts with my picture choices.