Sunday, December 7, 2014

Photo Story: Early Dad On White

When I first started shooting my white background work I made this pic of dad. I have to check my notes but I believe it was made in 2006 when dad was still working very hard and in good health. Dad worked until he was 79. He made food for a farmers market. Dad made breads, pyrogies, cabbage rolls, nalynyke, parishke, all kinds of deserts, pies, sauerkraut, borst, sour pickles, cookies, cakes etc. I lost track of all the Ukrainian and other foods dad made, there were to many to remember. All I know is that dad worked his tail off, never stopping, he is the hardest working man I ever knew. That is why it is so hard to see him confined but still fighting his pancreatic cancer now. He set an example of hard work and how it can lead to success in life, I try to follow his example in my photography. More effort always gives you better results.

When we did these white background photo sessions dad would always contribute stuff, he would bring changes of shirts, different hats, canes, ties, different glasses etc, and let me experiment with the shooting. He would always complain if I shot to much film (wasting money) but when we were making the photos he always seemed to enjoy himself. I remembered he liked this shot but was disappointed I did not tell him he missed buttoning the 3rd button in his shirt. Dad was always a bit of a fashion plate type guy, he always liked to dress up and look good. If he was going out sometime and I said anything remotely negative about what he was wearing he would disappear and return in a new suit, jacket, shirt or tie. He would say to me "How is this? Better?" Sometimes he would change 3 times.

The picture file below was scan of a 8x10 RC a print, it was made before I had a negative scanner. The photo was made with a Kodak Masterview 8x10 camera and 300mm Nikon lens in studio with 4 Speedotron flashes, two on the background and two in soft boxes on my father. The film as always was Tri-x, 8x10 sheet film. The exposure was around 1/60th and F45-64.

Dad in button missing shirt, 2006 Canada
Update* Next week I will try for the last time to photograph dad against the white background. I asked him last week if he wanted to another session and I think he does, so this will be our last time together working in that way. I hope it goes well, it will be hard to concentrate and focus the camera, I know I will end up crying during the session.