Thursday, May 2, 2013

Met Mimi From Toot Yung Gallery

Last night I had a nice quiet dinner with Mimi and some of her friends from the Toot Yung Galery here in Bangkok. It took me a while to find her place but I eventually found my way to her gated home and we ate talked art and about my show for several hours. She still is very interested in showing my photographs, all of this might happen later in the year possibly around October. She is a lady filled with passion and wants badly to raise the profile of modern art in Thailand and to help promote the work of both Thai and Farang (Western) artists. The new Toot Yung Gallery is opening in June and it looks to be a top notch beautiful space complete with an artists residence. I would be staying at the residence for the show and might be doing things like having ladyboy sex worker shoots in the gallery. She wants to incorporate the art, the viewers, the media, aid organizations etc into a multi dimensional presentation, a complete package for the art to have its full impact.

My one fear is that I will let her down, that I will not repay the faith she has in me. She speaks with such enthusiasm, such passion. The art world of shows and selling art is so new to me, I worry I will let her down. I will try as always to work hard, be truthful and reliable and see how it goes from there, I hope the faith she is showing can be repaid ten-fold.

Mimi is working with several artists over time, and helping them evolve in new directions with follow up shows in later years, she wants to that with me also and is encouraging me with suggestions of new projects and ideas to create work. I have been thinking of some of her ideas and I like several of them, I would probably be working in color with a digi camera to accomplish some of the series but heck who cares, tools are tools, its the final work that really matters most.

Anyway a fun evening, I have lots to think about. I will go to Mae Sot tomorrow night to photograph at the dump but might come back a few days early so I can visit the the Toot Yung Gallery, I will shoot some photos for the blog.

http://www.tootyunggallery.com/#num=content-790&id=album-52