Friday, May 31, 2013

2013 Alberta Photo Open Acceptance Letter

Well got a bit of good news in the mail today after 2 days of face slaps.  I got one print into the 2013 Alberta Photo Open at the Kaasa Gallery (where my solo show is now).What I am most surprised at is that they accepted a sex worker portrait, in the past any of the sex worker images was quickly rejected, maybe the judges are selecting a wider range of work, lets hope so.

Here is part of that email:

Congratulations! On behalf of Visual Arts Alberta- CARFAC. I am pleased to advise you have been selected by the jury for the Open Photo/Open Digital exhibition scheduled to run from August 30- Oct 12 2013 in the Kaasa Gallery of the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium in Edmonton and most likely moving to the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium in Calgary in October........

Nearly 200 images were submitted by 49 artists with 31 selected by 27 artists to be shown in the exhibition. I am pleased to advise you that the jury slec ted the following image from your submission:

Nit, 51, Sex Worker

....A people's choice award will be given out at the opening reception in Edmonton. All artists will receive a small artist fee of $75 for participating in this exhibition. 


With the $75 I can buy a bit more film! The submission was fast and easy, just sent out an email and got in, thats always nice. Now if I can someday get the Alberta Foundation For The Arts grant folks to jump on the boat I'm smiling!

Here is the selected photo, I will print it 16x20: