Wednesday, May 22, 2013

More Expenses

Spent a bunch of money today, the final payment of $1600 on 8x10 film, $300 for a box of 16x20 Ilford warmtone fiber (for the New Orleans PhotoNOLA show), and $500 on a  used 90mm F4.5 Nikon SW lens.

After having trouble with my Linhof 90mm last trip I decided to cut my losses and get a reliable fast (easy focusing) lens. The Nikon SW 90mm F4.5 has a reputation for extreme sharpness, I hope it lives up to it!

Now I only have one other piece of equipment to buy, a good carbon fiber, geared center post Gitzo tripod that costs around $750. I want to get a top notch carbon fiber tripod to replace my glued together Chinese knockoff. The geared center post is also important, it is something Jock Sturges recommended to me, it will allow me to do quick height adjustments in the field when I am working with my subject.

My other major expense will be some Leica lens and body repairs, not sure  how much those costs will be but anything involving Leica is expensive. I plan on shipping out the lens and the one malfunctioning (meter?) body next week, which should allow plenty of time for repairs. I want to make sure the lens get back to me before I leave for Thailand (probably in October).

I hate spending money on gear but all these costs, the tripod, the lens and the 35mm equipment are  because of damage to the equipment I am currently using.

I will also probably be doing another big 35mm bulk film buy soon, maybe 50 rolls (5000 feet).