Saturday, May 11, 2013

Singing Along

Forgot to write this up yesterday so thought I would mention it today. I have noticed that Burmese people love to sing while they work, I have heard maybe a dozen different people sing here. Yesterday as everyone was digging in the garbage looking for recyclables I decided to give it a try (I never sing!). The problem was coming up with a song? What song? I did not know any songs. I remembered when I was young and would travel to the Rocky Mountains with my family my mother would sing a song from her youth, and the family would sing along with her, the song was "She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain When She Comes!"

So I thought why not, not sure I remember all the words so when there was a quiet moment I started singing this song...

"She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain When She Comes!"

"She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain When She Comes!"

"She'll Be Riding 6 White Horses When She comes!"

That was about all I could remember, I repeated this verse 3 times and added a little body shake dance thing to it. People were surprised and  looked at me with a bit of amazement then smiled and laughed. Betcha mom never thought her song would be sung in that way and in that place so many years later.