Saturday, May 25, 2013

First 4x5 Scans From Trip

Here are the first scans from the trip, the top photo I am quite happy with because initially this man did not trust me and said some warning words about me to some children. When I was able to communicate with him (learned later he spoke some Thai), I was able to become friends with him and his family, we built up a trusting relationship and became quite friendly.

I also shot a video of him as he built a little play area (hanging fabric hammock type thing) under his very small shack, he had such a look of joy in his face when he was finished, I even helped him put it together. The children of the home later giggled with delight when they were rolling around on the fabric under the home.


I will take photos of him and his family back to the dump in October. I might try submitting this portrait in next years Alberta Foundation For The Arts Acquisition program. I plan on doing mostly 4x5 work in next years submission, this year I did all 35mm. Photo taken in overcast light at 1/8 sec and around F8.5-11 with a 150mm lens.


This photo is my attempt to create something similar to Walker Evans, Fields Family portrait. I shot bot the man portrait above and this family portrait a few minutes apart on my last day at the dump, after I had build up some relationships and rapport with the people living there. This photo kinda works  but am not sure if I like it (not sure about the child looking down, maybe a tighter composition). Shooting this many people at one time with a large format camera is new to me, but I think with some more time, some more effort, I can make it work. I have some more shots of this family group, think I took 4 or 5, have 2 developed so far, hopefully the others are better pictures. This picture was shot in low overcast light at 1/8 sec, F8 with a 75mm Lens.


I need to go back and continue making photos of the people living at the dump, gosh I wish I was flying out tomorrow not in 5 months time! "Ain't Photography F-ckin Grand!"