Friday, May 10, 2013

4x5 Working In The Dump Portraits

Now that I have some relationships with the people here, I have started to ask the people I know to pose for portraits as they work. The sun can be extremely harsh and contrasty, am using a combination of my Linhof along with a 90mm, a reflector and the grafmatic backs. The reflector is allowing me to bounce some light on my subject but with the extreme contrast and the very dark skin of some of the workers, I am not sure how much detail I am holding.

I will shoot a few more of these tomorrow my (8th) last day at the dump along with at least one family portrait in front of their home (shack) which is inspired by the Fields family Walker Evans shot. Later on if these photos work out I will try to shoot more of them, my next trip here will be in 3 or 5 months.