Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Flies And Sweat Day 5 In The Dump Site

Today I tried to take some low angle shots up at the workers digging through the garbage. The unfortunate part of shooting from such a low angle is you get closer to the flies, so you have sweat running down your face and flies all over your body, hands and face, it can get pretty grim. Sometimes when your in the garbage you feel something running down your neck or face and are unsure if its a bead of sweat or some kind of insect.

The garbage has lots of broken glass in it so you need to watch out where you walk. I watched one man (not sure of his name but he only has 1 eye) today as he emptied out a big bottle that was filled with syringes. The man wanted the bottle for recycling but did not want the used needles that were inside, so instead they all ended up on top of the garbage where everyone was walking, some people with only flip flops.

The people here are starting to help me with my photos, they stop what there doing, they wait for me to take my photo before proceeding. Today when I was photographing the one eyed man he apologized that he had to go to work, the truck had just arrived). After establishing these relationships, working with the 4x5 tomorrow should be a bit easier.

I think my Burmese is now good enough to get the age and name of the people I photograph, I will make a greater effort to do that tomorrow.