Wednesday, May 15, 2019

My Trip Video Gear Set Up

My last trip to Thailand I loaded myself down with a ton of gear. That mistake was a bit understandable as I was staying 6 months in Thai but I still took way TOO MUCH STUFF!! This coming 7 week trip I am stream lining my camea gear (no 8x10 view camera plus accessories). I still want to shoot "Families of the Dump" video, so I needed to figure out a compact system to do that. The end idea being to eventually get together enough video footage to make a short documentary on life in the garbage for the families.

How to get higher end video and sound and yet not be taking to much stuff to Thai or carrying too much stuff on my 55 year old back in the dump? I decided on the set up pictured below. I  want to pull this thing out of my camera bag at any time and just start shooting. Everything needs to be quick and fast. I will use some of he video for online posts and also to improve my artist talks. Being able to show video to gallery visitors along with the stills during a talk or during the exhibition is always a good thing.

Here is the set up I am taking with me this time. It is small light and to the point.


- A black magic pocket pro cinema camera (1080p)
- A Rode stereo microphone.
- Rokinon wide angle lens
- A Came-TV 2 (steady-cam)
- A Sony sound recorder.

Video Gear Set Up
Been changing my mind constantly in regards to the still camera gear I will take this trip. Removed the Leica M6 with 35mm F1.4 lens from this to take list. The current thinking is:

- 2 Leica R6 bodies
- 1 Leica R6.2 body
- 16mm, 21mm, 24mm, 35mm, 60mm and 90mm R lens
- A Rolleiflex twin reflex camera
- 50 rolls of Tri-x 35mm
- 50 rolls of Tri-x 120mm
- Canon 5D Mark3 with 28mm-105 lens.