Thursday, May 2, 2019

From Facebook, Remembering Old Pictures, With Stories


In a sentimental past photo mood tonight. Am remembering old friends, family and photo adventures. Here are few photograph layout pages for a books that never happened (and probably will never happen). All of these pic layout pages are from the blog. I included some stories behind the photos...



A series done in 2007, 2009 and 2012 documenting the sex workers of Pattaya Thailand. All photos made in studio with a 8x10 camera on Tri-x and shot with a 4 speedotron flash heads. Long the girl on the right became a closer friend. I photographed her over 5 times in various situations from the studios,, to shortime sex rooms where she took customers, to her her own pink painted apartment where I translated letters written to her by her biker Western boyfriend. Last I heard she had left the scene and was living a better life.

Here is an online article talking about these photos, on Slate.com https://slate.com/culture/2014/01/gerry-yaum-photographs-sex-workers-in-pattaya-thailand-in-his-exhibition-body-sellers-the-sex-workers-of-thailand-at-photonola.html
A series done in 2007, 2009 and 2012 documenting the sex workers of Pattaya Thailand. All photos made in studio with a 8x10 camera on Tri-x and shot with a 4 speedotron flash heads. Jiji the ladyboy worker on the right was a kinda friend who I photographed numerous times, pre and post breast implants (which she paid for herself).
This photo dates back to when I was 21. It was made in a West Oakland USA, jazz club washroom. The man in the picture had just shot up with heroin (using my black sock to tie off his arm). He was ex army ambulance driver, only met him that one time. He gave me advice on what to do if someone in the club ODied on drugs (involved placing ice on sensitive body parts). He also suggested I push someone that overdosed person out the front door to avoid any legal problems with the police. Boy was that a different world for a 21 year old nerdy overly clean cut and very naive Canadian kid who never drank or smoked.
Very early shot. I might have been 19 or 20. Photo is of BB King when he came to my town of Edmonton in a not so famous phase of his career. I got to photograph him by myself, directly underneath the microphone with a wide angle lens on my old Canon A-1, Tri-x. Shot a bunch of rolls with no problems at all.
One of the many dump babies, Rolleiflex and Tri-x.
This man had such haunting eyes. He was just wandering the garbage watching when I made this photo. Wonder what he has seen in his lifetime. From "Families of the Dump" Rolleiflex 2016

Dump child, Rolleiflex. Thinking of taking a Rollie this coming May trip to do more close portraits.

Contact sheet and dad in July 2015.
2 more of dad. The right shot is when he was in hospital after his diagnosis. This was the 3rd hospital room I visited and photographed him in. I tried to visit dad everyday that last 13 months, did not quite do that, but visited him almost everyday. Wish I could visit him again. Wish I could just hear him say "Gerald" again.


Dad in 2014 for "My Fathers Last Days". The photo on the right he was watching TV. At left is a contact sheet of various pictures, all on Tri-x shot with 35mm Leica cameras (R and M).
Dad in around July 2014, a hot last summer.

Dad during his last year. My father was always open to be photographed, he let me in to see everything. There were many times thou that I was to emotional to lift the camera and gave dad his privacy.

An old man of 70 in Klong Toey slum Bangkok, around 2011. When I returned several months later to give him his photo he had died. I gave the photo to his friends.
The boys in the dump are usually so filled with energy. Lots of running and playing, the guys even do dance routines on old beat up mattress's. 2:40 of this video http://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/2018/09/videofacebook-arriving-at-dump-video.html
Young girls who live on the edge of the garbage and family in their dump shack. Photos made with a 5x7 Linhof on Tri-x in 2015
Some 35mm Leica shots made in 2015 and 2016 (I think). The man on the right is the groom, I photographed him for the first time in 2013 at his wedding. He now has 3 children.
Here is the groom again from around 2016. The boy on his right is Chemeeko, the cutest child you can ever imagine. The baby is his young daughter. I have not met his 3rd child yet,. Will probably be able to meet #3 child soon when I return to the garbage and the work there.
The dump has both old and young.
Garbage trucks dropping off some new waste for everyone to dig through, 2018. Photo made digitally on a Canon 5D Mark3 (ASA 10000) with a tripod.
More of the "Families of the Dump" pics made in 2018. The left family was brand new to the dump. They arrived 1 month before I left last trip. The family had almost nothing, there were 8 or so people living in this little lean to shack. Did more donations to them than others. The family in the right is eating some food before the garbage trucks arrive.
In the left photo are a young husband and wife who wait for the next garbage truck to arrive before working. Right a family waits.
From a Leprosy home in Nepal. This very old gentleman was in a room by himself. sitting on a concrete floor. A sad man at the end of his life. He seemed to be getting good care, that was able to help him with his disease.
Spoke of the top photo earlier, the bottom is young baby being held by her mother. The dump is filled with babies, could do a whole series of photographs just on baby faces. One constant I have seen in the dump, is an incredible amount of love directed at the babies. Mothers are always all smiles when I make pics of their kids!
The photo from the top was from 2013, the young boy was being cared for by his slightly older sister (you can see her hand and foot on the left). Younger babies-children in the dump do not wear diapers of any kind. They usually just walk around with only a shirt, no pants or underants and do their business most anywhere, the parents clean up after.

The old man in the bottom photo is form Klong Toey slum in Bangkok, a drinker. He seemed sad and all used up during the short time I spent with him.
2 5x7 film shots from 2015. I have become quite close to the mother in the photo. Last trip did lots of donation giving to her family. The little girl on the far left is her oldest daughter.
I photographed my father for over 13 months after he was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. The photo on the right (8x10 film Camera) was done soon after dad was initially diagnosed with the disease. The last shot was made a few days after he died on Feb 22, 2015. I asked dad if it was OK to photograph him in his coffin and he said "Yes a few as memory." This series of photographs "My Fathers Last Days" was the last thing we did together as father and son.