Sunday, May 5, 2019

A Few Digital Images Done Up

Some prints made last night after work, digital printing that is. These are mostly digital camera file photos made at night in 2018 at the dump. I have not seen them in b/w before, only color. Thought I would give a few a try in monochrome.

Also did one Rolleiflex film image from 2016. I mostly made up that photo to be inspired. I plan on taking a different lighter Rolleiflex and 40-50 rolls of 120mm Tri-x with me this coming trip. Hope this printed photo will help inspire more this next trip. Have found that is usually the case, when I look at old work I like, it drives me to produce more.

I might include some of the photos below in the coming library show thing. Decided to print that work digitally (for the first time) on a paper called MOAB ENTRADA RAG NATURAL 300. It is a thicker paper that gives a slightly warmish tone to photos. I always find digital prints a bit cheap looking, not as real and not as exciting as darkroom process made photos. Still these should look OK I think. Always got to try new things, so this will be new for me.

The dog in the top left photo was a dump dog that became a pet for a family who worked the garbage. All people and all animals need some love.
Various digital night shots and 2 digi day shots. The night stuff was shot at 10000 ASA with only flashlights for illumination (sometimes I would hold 2 or 3 flash lights at my subject). The two shots at the right are of the same woman working at the same time. The top is a digital camera exposure the bottom a Leica film shot. Trying to decide which to use at the library thing.
Two Rollie film 120mm shots on the left (2015-16), the family daughter (2017) working on the right another film shot, this time on 35mm. All photos on Tri-x.
Left photo from (2015-16), the family daughter (2017) working on the right another film shot, this time on 35mm. All photos on Tri-x.


The color shot might be included in the show just for a change of pace. It was strange but because the dump provides work and a way for the families to improve their lives I started to see it as partly beautiful, and photographed it that way. This pic is made on the high gloss MOAB SLICKROCK METILLIC PEARL 260 paper. The left photo is a brother and sister in the dump at night. I have photographed them together for years. The brother takes such great care of his little sis. He carries her everywhere over the garbage on his back, and hugs her constantly. What do their future hold? The children at the dump are so lovely, wish I could do more for them. Got to figure something out. Gave them lollipops after this shot.


Another wider shot of the images. The photo on left of the 2 children in the garbage (watching me and their mom work) is on the ENTRADA RAG photo paper mentioned earlier.