Thursday, May 30, 2019

Email To A Friend: LOVE THE WIDE ANGLES

Hey Larry

Made the right choice when I bought the 16mm and the 21mm wide angles for the R cameras. I am using those lens on the Canon 5D Mark 3 with an adaptor. The only issue is focusing at times. I need to get a wide angle for the Canon that does auto focus for me (especially in really low light). Looking at the 11mm to 24mm (or is 20?) lens from Canada. Retails at about $1800 USD used, expensive for me but I think I could do some good work with it. The 11mm would allow even more use in confined spaces and the auto focus would allow for me to shoot quickly and more accurately. My dream outfit on my return to Canada is the Canon 5D Mark 4 body with the 11-24mm F4 lens. PLEAE PLEASE sell me yours when you move on. PLEASE PLEASE give me a good price. I will shoot the camera to death when I do get it and try to make important photos with it. Photos that can have a positive effect on the world, I hope!

The thing I love best about the 16mm is it allows me to include a lot more in my compositions to give a real sense of place. The distortion does not bother me as it does you, I like the visual effect of bent lines a lot!! The Canon lens is supposed to have less distortion than my 16mm R Leica lens which was made int he 1970s (I think). 

I can now climb into a small room and include so much more of that room, or I can shoot large open spaces like under the freeway and include both entrances. LOVE IT!!!!!!! "Ain't Photography Grand!!!!" 

Am on a real natural high right now. I just came back from photographing under the freeway. Did a series of shots of various kinds and some photos of drug use before and after. This is the first time I have photographed drug taking since I was 21 in West Oakland. It was in a small shack along a roadway in Klong Toey Slum, a man named ------- smoking something he called nam king (ice) in a water pipe device made with a water bottle and a straw taped together with a glass pipe section he heated with lighter as he inhaled.. Afterwards I photographed him in his shack sleeping etc...the wide angle worked great for all of this stuff. Am trying to tell this young mans story in a fair and balanced way. He trusts me in his life making pictures, I need to do right by him and tell his story fairly, and honestly with compassion and und udnerstanding.

Really looking forward too making more photos here in Klong Toey (found my new story!!) and in the dump with these new wide angle lens later in June. Need to shoot more film as well been shooting mostly the digital so far. Also need to shoot a bunch of 120mm film on the Rolleiflex.

Feeling GREAT today. Making the photos I always wanted to make my whole life, dreams coming true.

Best wishes...Gerry!!!!!!!!! Included a few wide angle examples...

Apanpon, "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" 2019
Dom, "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" 2019
See, Dom, Chompoo "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" 2019
Apanpon, "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" 2019
Dom, "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" 2019
Bia "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" 2019