Saturday, May 4, 2019

Facebook: Lost Negs


2 more nights of work then am on my normal week off. I am trying to figure out what images to use for the Library display thing happening in August. My biggest problem is not a lack of photos, but instead a lack of knowing where the negatives are! They are all in a mass of confused binders, neg sheets, large cans and boxes. Hopefully none are lost forever.

Here is a selection of prints that I know where the negs are, the second set of photos is from missing negatives (there are also a couple of digi file photos pictured). I need to track those down all those missing negatives before I can print the pics, that might take weeks of effort. One of my goals in establishing darkroom #2 was to have a larger space where I could finally organize my thousands of lifetime negatives. Hopefully within 5 years I will have all negs in binders, categorized, labeled and easy to find. I have been doing darkroom work for around 41 years now (14 years old to 55 years old), things can get very confusing in that time span.

All the photos in this coming library display thing ("Families of the Dump" series) will be printed digitally. I have never done a show with only digital prints before. Most of chosen photos were made with film cameras but I do not have enough time to print everything up in a darkroom which would take many months of intense work. I return from Thai at the beginning of July the library thing will be the beginning of August. I can make and and mat digital prints in 3 or 4 weeks but cannot do darkroom prints that quickly. Darkroom Silver Gelatin Fiber photographs would take at least 6 months of effort to put together.

Note* Most of my older previously darkroom printed "Families of the Dump" photographs are still at the art gallery in Penticton (some talk of a possible traveling exhibition of the work).
Note** We will be doing $1110 CAD worth of donation work this coming dump trip as well. This will be the most important part of the coming 7 week Asia trip.
 
Have no idea where these negs are
I know where these negs, digi files are