Thursday, May 23, 2019

First Day In Klong Toey Slum

Went out at about 3pm today. Walked through some of my regular haunts in Klong Toey Slum. No boxing going on, Khun Anapon (People Who Live Under The Freeway series) was there today as always. Khun Ooh was working so did not see here, I guess she does not have a dog any longer. To bad she does not have the dog any longer, she loved it. From what I gather it is still alive but went somewhere else.

One weird event was tat  I met several people in Klong Toey Slum near the boxing gym who knew me. One lady said that I took her photo with a baby before. I gave her a print and she remembered me like 6 or 7-8 years later. Here is the photograph I took, one of my favorites:

Picture of the lady with her baby in Klong Toey Slum, 2011 or 2012
Another older lady who I did not know, said I had lost weight and was thinner than before. That was nice to hear,  guess the diet worked. I told her I stopped eating bread and chocolate. These two were part of a large group of 5 people who spoke to me at once. An older man in the group was trying to marry me off to a local girl who had no husband, she shyly looked down when that was going on.

The migrant area where people lived before is now closed down The rooms they lived in are different, the buildings are renovated and newer looking. There is a big sign out front saying that the place is free of ILLEGAL WORKERS, so I guess that means the Cambodians and Burmese are out, and this place is only for Thais now. The immigrant worker, especially illegals get the short end of the stick world wide. I wonder where the Burmese and Cambodians live and work now? So many good people just want a job to help their families, support their loved ones. Hard working family people should be rewarded not attacked and demonized. We need to see our common humanity and forget all his country crap.

Overall it was a nice nice first day in the dump. I shot 4 cameras, not sure I got anything of value. Tried to shoot the 90mm Leica R lens and the 16mm R lens on the Canon 5D Mark 3 but it was very hard to focus in the low light conditions where Khun Anapon lives.