Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Facebook: At My Bangkok Hotel

Well made it to my hotel in Klong Toey Bangkok. Dragging the 4 bags on the sidewalk in the heat was a bit of an adventure but got it done, now safely in my room (see photos).

A few opening thoughts:

- The taxi guy at the airport tried to take advantage of me. I usually get a taxi for a cheaper rate at the 4th floor departure area (drivers are technically not allowed to pick up customers there) but this time a bit of a con man was waiting for me. After I got my bags in his taxi he told me in Thai, "THE KINGS BIRTHDAY IS TODAY, EVERYWHERE THERE IS A TRAFFIC JAMS, ALL AROUND YOUR HOTEL AREA IS A TRAFFIC JAM" He then asked for 500 baht. I know the taxi price to the hotel is around 280 baht plus tollway costs so I refused, got out and removed my bags. The next guy was a nice fellow who just turned on his meter with no issues and a smile, cost to the hotel was 277 baht plus 2 tollway costs of 25 baht and 50 baht. I paid the tolls as the passenger always does in Thailand and gave him 300 baht for the trip, a small tip, which is normal.

- It is weird as always speaking Thai again. I had to jump into the language quickly on arrival. It has been over a year since I spoke any Thai. Speaking does not feel effortless as it well later, lots of thought involved it, marbles in the mouth sometimes. Some topics of conversation with the second taxi driver, were, all the new condos, where I was from, 2 new apps taxi drivers and people in Bangkok use now, tricks taxi drivers use to get more money, and that it was NOT the kings birthday. I told him the 500 baht story which he thought was quite funny, he kept laughing and laughing.

- Final thought, Thai dogs are smart! I had forgotten this but saw it again when I went to buy supplies at the nearby 7/11. Thai dogs will lay outside a 7/11 door on the concrete step just in front of the automatic sliding door. Why do they do this? because every time the door opens, which is often, they get a blast of a/c in the face. They never come inside the stores which is not allowed, they just lay outside looking hot and waiting for the next out pouring of cold air from the store. Smart animals, street dogs here are wise, even seen them using walking bridges over roads before.
Here are some photos of my room, $27 CAD a night. Hot shower, A/C, cable TV, free WiFi and very quiet. I like the location of this place as it is next to (actually part of) Bangkok's Klong Toey slum, where I make my photos.

$27 CAD a night