Sunday, August 13, 2017

Bought Me Another Japanese Ambrotype Portrait

Bought me an original 1880s ambrotype type of an Japanese Geisha (?). Not sure she is actually a geisha but I loved her ambiguous expression, pose and dress. She looks so indifferent, so vulnerable. I have seen that same expression in the faces of the sex workers of Southeast Asia.The pics cost was a reasonable $67.66 USD plus shipping. Will add this ambroype to my collection of 4 others. There was a throw in paper picture included in this auction (the oval image seen below).

Geisha (?) Ambrotype 1880s Japan

Here is the sellers advert:

Fantastic & original Japanese ambrotype of a Geisha holding an umbrella together with a pocket mirror with paper photo portrait of a Geisha, c1880.  The ambrotype measures 3 1/4 X 4 1/3 inches and has a partial case and frame.  The mirror measures 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 inches.  Fine clarity & tonality, generally good shape for the age & GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC.  Be sure to add me to your favorites list & check out my other auctions for more interesting things from Japan.  Payment by PAYPAL.  Buyer pays ACTUAL SHIPPING COSTS.  If you buy more than one item I can combine shipping.