Friday, July 28, 2017

Quotes: Peter Ustinov

"The habit of religion is oppressive, an easy way out of thought."

"Beliefs are what divide people. Doubt unites them."

"I was irrevocably betrothed to laughter, the sound of which has always seemed to me to be the most civilized music in the world."

[on the American and British invasion of Afghanistan in 2001]
"You can't fight terrorism without becoming a terrorist yourself."

[on the invasion of Iraq in 2003]
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich."

[on playing The Old Man in "Logans Run" (1976)]
 "Slightly depressing, because I turned up in Hollywood and I said to Mr Westmore, one of the famous family of make-up men, "It's terrible! I've got to play a man of a hundred years, it means I'll have to be at the studio 5 o'clock every morning to be made up!". He said, "No no, I think ten minutes will be enough."