Sunday, March 6, 2016

Edmonton Society Of Photographers Meeting

On Friday night after much trouble and tribulation traffic wise I managed to make it to my photo groups meeting 45 minutes late. I have belonged to 4 different photography clubs in my lifetime and this one "The Edmonton Society of Photographers" is the best by far. At the meeting we each got to talk about our own photography as we had 2 new members joining the group. There was lots of photographic philosophical chit chat, which is so rewarding.

ESP (The Edmonton Society of Photographers) puts photography first, it is not a social club, not a nice get together for old folks or a beginners group, it is a society of extremely dedicated artists and professionals, where photography comes first. Sometimes I feel that I am not qualified to be amongst such skilled photogs. I need to refine my thoughts and photographic approaches and improve my photography to feel more like I belong in ESP. It is a challenging group that I am very fortunate to included in, but I need to live up to what the other photographers in the society are producing. Being part of ESP will push me to work harder and be better than I have been.

The main speaker of the meeting night was member Pieter de Vos. He is working on a series of photographs shot in a black community located near Pretoria South Africa (Woodlane Village). The photographs he showed us were stunning, detailed and spoke from the heart. I was wowed by what I saw and envious that I had not made the pics. Pieter is an outstanding photographer. He also recorded the back stories and histories of the people of Woodlane Village, which is now in book form.

Pieter's amazing Woodlane Village photographs.
http://www.pieterdevos.ca/xas87e6no1fzb8x62jqimsyapxy6zu

Here is Peter's site, interview.
http://www.pieterdevos.ca/blog/2014/11/19/reflections-on-documentary-photography-and-storytelling