Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Bought A Ball Head For My 16x20 Chamonix Camera

Bought a used Gitzo Systematic Ball Head Series 5 with quick release today of a eBay. Not sure that ball heads are the way to go with view cameras especially super large ones like a 16x20. I wanted to give this head a try thou. If it works it would be a lot lighter and easier to carry about then a more heavier geared head of some kind. If this head does not work out I might go with a more traditional head from a Ries wooden tripod.

The Gitzo GH5381SQD is rated to 66 lbs, in combination with the 9 foot carbon fibre Gitzo tripod I plan on buying (rated to 88 lbs), I should have a great and light combo. The Chamonix 16x20 weighs 34 lbs, with film holder and lens it should be in the 45-55 lb area, well under the 66 lb max. capacity of the ball head. What I am worried about is loosey goosey tight movements when I try to make slight adjustments in composition. The whole thing might just fall over : ))

I got the head used (mint condition) on eBay for a decent price $382 USD versus a new version which sells for $599 USD ($639 USD at B&H). With the good used price I decided to take a swing at this head and hope it is the answer I am looking for. I could probably use it with my 8x10 cameras (got 3 of those) or a future 11x14 camera if it does not work with the 16x20.

Update* I ended up getting free shipping from the eBay seller in the States, a good deal all round!



Gitzo Series 5 Systematic Ball Head Specs. 

    • Load Capacity: 66 lb
    • Arca-Type Compatible
    • Low-Profile Friction Ball Head
    • Fits Into Shoulder of Systematic Tripod
    • Quick-Release Plate & Safety Mechanism
    • 360° Panoramic Rotation
    • +28° / -28° Lateral Tilt
    • Fast & Smooth Hydraulic Locking System
    • Included Ring Adapter