Thursday, January 14, 2016

Next Trip Thoughts

Been thinking a lot the last few days about what type of image I want to make and with which tools when I return to Mae Sot Thailand and the "Families of the Dump".

I plan on continuing my work with the 5x7 but will work more with the 120mm lens and less with the 210mm (better depth of field, more inclusive compositions). I will probably shoot another 200-250 sheets, both portraits and dumpscapes. I got mixed technical results with the 5x7 last trip, lots of out of focus images, hopefully this time I can do 25% better.

Am thinking now that I will not take a 35mm camera with me, which is a very tough call. I have had lots of good results coming out of the 35mm so leaving those cameras behind is a tough call. If I do leave the 35mm I will take 120mm film cameras instead.

The best images from last trip were made with my 6x6 Rolleiflex F 2.8 camera. I am thinking of doubling down, taking 100 rolls of film (last time only had around 30 in the dump) and shooting, shooting and shooting some more with this wonderful tool. I have a second Rolleiflex F 2.8 so taking that camera along with a eye level penta prism is also an option. If I had 2 bodies, I could mount close up filters on one camera and use the other at its standard 80mm focal length. I would also have a backup camera if there was a break down and a backup camera with extra film if I need to quickly continue shooting a subject. Having a camera loaded with film would allow me to continue photographing after the first camera runs out. The worse feeling out there is knowing there is a photo in front of you and not having any film loaded in your camera to shoot it. Then by the time you get the film into the camera that important moment has passed and you miss it.

I want to take the closeup filter set #2 with me this trip. Being able to focus even closer would allow me to photograph dump details. Details of the workers, their hands,  close up faces, details of the dump shacks, things found in the garbage (dolls, toys etc). Having those types of photos in any future exhibitions would add depth and understanding for the viewer. I want to give the gallery visitor an in depth and complete picture of the enviroment and world the families and the children live in.

Another possibly is taking along the 67 format Plaubel Makina. I think this camera would be great to do full body length portraits of the workers, the older people and the children in the dump. It would offer a larger negative and great bokek at f2.8. A flash option might also be available with this camera. If I had a flash I could shoot the workers digging at night in the garbage. I could photograph night scenes though out the dump and elsewhere.

Many thoughts, many possibilities. Not sure exactly what I will do next trip but its fun to plan and anticipate the possible pictures that could be made. : ))

Update* I will have more room in my check in bags this coming trip to take my dump donations with me. I plan on transporting 60+ hats in my bags along with 3 sets of safety boots (plus my own cheaper boots). I will be able to hand out those items along with the normal food bag gifts each dump visit in April.