Sunday, January 17, 2016

My Agfachrome??

Way back when Agfa stopped making film and photographic paper I bought a ton of Agfa supplies. I got a 20 or so boxes of various Agfa fiber and RC photo papers (8x10 to 20x24). I bought a bunch of Rodinal developer, still have 5 or so of those bottles. And I also purchased a ton of film, Agfa Classic 35mm print film (already used up) and 2-3 large boxes of Agfachrome 120mm film (100 ASA). I am not sure how much Agfachrome I have, I think it is over 100 rolls.

Ever since that day it arrived the Agfachrome has sat in my freezer waiting for use. Is it still good? Can I use it? How can I shoot the stuff? These are questions that have bothered me for a long time. I do not want to waste the film so need to give it a go, some how some way.

My latest plan for the Agfachrome would be to combine it with the Rolleiflex F cameras. I have 2 possible ways I could shoot it.

- Available light shooting, just like I do with Tri-x. I am a bit worried about exposure with chrome. Slide film is so touchy exposure wise. I would need to be very careful and accurate with my metering.

- Flash mounted to the Rollei, set on automatic. Possibly shooting at f2.8 or f4.

The flash idea I like quite a bit. I am going to get myself a Rolleiflex handle grip with a trigger type button, allowing for a flash to be mounted at the side of the camera. Most Rolleiflex accessories are crazy expensive, $250 USD for a lens hood etc. The grips for whatever reason can be got for under $100 USD, some eBay auctions are only around $30-40 plus shipping.

Rolleiflex with hand grip
So the idea is to get a grip to use with my current work in availble light. I am hoping I can shoot at slower shutter speeds with this cable release grip (at least one speed slower). I can also use the camera grip to allow me to shoot flash with the Rollies. You mount the flash on a bracket attached to the front of the hand grip.

This might be the way I shoot the "Lost Innocence" portraits. I might try to shoot a few portraits for that series this coming trip to Thai. I will run some Agfachrome through the Rollie with flash here in Canada first, then develop them in my older (also wonder if it still good) unmixed E-6 chemistry.

If I did do the series this way with the Agfachrome and Rollies I would scan the images and print them digitally. Color prints in photoshop can create some amazing results, certainly way better than what you can do in the darkroom.