Monday, January 4, 2016

It's Frustrating Sometimes

I so want to tell the stories of the children in the dump, I so want to get their voices heard. It can be very frustrating at times. I received all these comments on the work in the last 2 days. Some folks are moved by the photographs, others could care less. Whenever I get yet another rejection notice from some high end gallery I feel like I totally fucked up and let my subject down. Feel that way again today, I fucked up and let the children of the dump down, their stories will not be seen.
----------------
The first message is from an email I got from a man in Bangkok, never met him before.

Brilliant Photographs
 
Saw your website

Love the photographs of sex workers and the dump kids - brilliant stuff and you still use film ??

Myself - Been around Klong Toey slums Bangkok taking a few shots- nothing as good as yours. Just thought would spin you a mail of appreciation  ;o)

regards

RCC
------------------
The following comments were made at APUG.org a high level photography site dealing with film work. I had posted 9 of the "Forgotten Laughter: The Children of the Dump" pictures and 1 "My Fathers Last Days" photos on the site.

"very powerful images, Gerry." HHS

"This series is good, really good. It's sad that as a race we don't prop each other up more." D

"For the love of god, I can't figure out why comments aren't hitting the roof on this series. We have some incredible amounts of hard work to produce this series, not just making the physical image but the mental work to inspire this work in the first place.These images, like the sex worker series before them, show a lot of compassion but also the spirit of what I think photography needs: passion. The sheer love of taking pictures, and using photography to understand and show the world around us" CC

"I agree with you, Colin. In the sight of true greatness, more comments and reaction ought to follow." TB

"Powerful, sad photograph." D

"This is a very good series and this one my favorite shot! Thanks for sharing ! Saludos" G

"Gerry! I'm so glad to see you posting again. I remember your past series from Thailand of sex workers - I was impressed with that and am glad to see you continuing making strong work.I'm going to be in Thailand briefly in a few months - it'd be great to meet up if possible. I respect your work a lot." CC

"One would think that all is well with the world....it's not is it..." TL

and a few days later

'this work has to be some of the best ever on this site. SO strong. well printed. comp is great. enjoy this series so much. thank you" M




-----------------

Today I also received this email from a first class museum/gallery in Ontario.

Dear Gerry Yaum,

Thank you very much for sending some information about your work. This kind of communication with artists informs us about current ideas and creative talents worldwide.
Our programs are planned with many considerations in mind. One thing we always think about is how certain projects relate to our overall exhibition schedule and to the mission of the RIC as a whole.

At the moment I don't foresee any exhibition possibilities for your work. Unfortunately, we find ourselves in the position of having to pass up many worthwhile projects.

We greatly appreciate your interest in the RIC.

Sincerely,
G M, PhD
Exhibitions Curator

R I C

-----------------
Note* I edited out the names of all the writers to protect their privacy as well as the name of the museum/gallery.