Saturday, November 12, 2011

What Really Matters

You ever get the feeling your doing something more important than yourself? That your life is not nearly as important as the work your doing. As I age and create more and more work, hopefully better work, the idea that the photographs are whats most important in my life, dominates my thoughts. The photographs are what really matters, my life is of little consequence, except to continue to create the work. If I were to die making photographs it would be a good death, its the way I would want to go, it would be a worthwhile important way to die.

If the people in my photographs can live on through the work, if the stories the images tell can continue to be told, then thats what really matters, thats whats important.

Hmmm!? I hope this is not one of those foreshadowing your death moments! Where they take your recent meaning of life, ok way to die quote and read it at your funeral, lets hold off on this dying thing for as long as we can! Go ahead and use the quote when I am old and grey and cannot carry my 4x5 any longer, many many years from now : ) .