Thursday, November 17, 2011

$10000 Of Gear But Safe In The Slum

Photographing here seems much easier this time round (the third trip I have photographed in Klong Toey). I wander the slum shacks and dark passage ways with maybe $10 000 worth of camera gear around my neck and in my bag. I have not felt threatened at any point and try to stay clear of situations that might be dangerous, especially when it comes to younger males under some kind of substance influence. You have to figure thou that sooner or later I am bound to run into the wrong person at the wrong time, its just a matter of percentages, I will try my best thou to use common sense and politeness to stay clear of that.

I seem to becoming a regular to certain areas of the slum, yesterday I had folks remembering me and telling stories about me to others. One old man I met in September said, "I remember you, you spoke Thai well (he is a former sailor who had a girl in every port, and speaks English quite fluently, he now lives in a shared slum shack not far from the gym). I also walked by an old lady I met in September who was speaking to 2 other Thai ladies about me, "He speaks Thai well." she said  to her friends with a smile directed at me (Thais always politely exaggerate how well you speak).

I do not want to get complacent but I am really starting to feel in my element when I walk in Klong Toey, starting to feel like I belong a bit more. It really is about the people I meet thou, they are so open and so giving to those that make an effort to learn and understand their lives, besides that they are for the most part decent hard working people that have are beaten down by life, people who when treated with respect glow with friendliness and kindness.