Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dangers Of The Slum

I have heard numerous times over the last few days about the dangers of the slum from Thais I meet and photograph. I have been warned 4 times of certain areas not to visit (think I walked through and photographed those areas a few times). I was told that those areas are dangerous and that thefts go on all the time, was told how my camera or bag could be stolen from me, or my tripod mounted camera grabbed. I think the area they were referring to was the place I paid out 40 baht today to the wild eyed Don man.

I need to be careful, I do not want to lose 2 cameras this trip!! or worse yet be stabbed or attacked in someway. I need to make the portraits thou and am willing to undergo some risk to get the photos made, but I also need to be careful and use sound judgement, a bit of good luck would not hurt also!