Sunday, November 20, 2011

Muay Thai Matches Up Close

Today I had the opportunity to photograph 6 Muay Thai matches from the ring corner. I was up on the canvas right in one of the corners shooting with a newspaper photographer. The facility was out in an isolated area of Bangkok admission was free but the matches had heavy betting and also tv coverage (their were 3 large video cameras and one portable video camera). The place was eventually filled up with probably over 300 screaming Thais, I was the only farang (Westerner) in attendance.

Before the match I introduced myself to a local official, told him about my photography in Thailand and asked permission to shoot at the ring corner, he said no problem (the language skills came in useful again!).

My access to make photos was complete, I got access behind the scenes where the boxers were preparing for the fights and also right at the ring corner. I was as close as I could possibly be without actually stepping into the ring. I was so close actually  inches from the fighters at times that I had to move back so as not to get punched. I felt the sweat from the boxers land on my skin, clothes and cameras. I even got stepped on a few times and had one boxers head hit my leg as he was flung to the canvas, his arm also came out of the ring and touched my arm.

I had great access, the best I could have hoped for and all for the cost of a taxi cab ride 2 ways ($8). Not sure how the photos will turn out, I wanted to shoot without flash in available light, with my fast lens. I exposed my Tri-x at 800 ASA (pushed to stops over normal) and exposed at f stops of 2-4 and shutter speeds of 1/125 to 1/500. I shot with 2 Leica bodies and a 50mm F1.4, a 28mm F2 and a 21mm F2.8

I will do some development tests on my return to Canada, I have not pushed Tri-x for a while. I had read that Sebastiao Salgado shot his Tri-x up to a speed of 800 so I should be able to get some half decent negs with the proper development/developer, the prints will probably be very grainy and difficult to print but it might lead to some strong photographs.

This will be good experience for future shooting in low light. I want to try to avoid the flash as much as possible now.