Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Kindness Of Strangers

I was reminded again yesterday of the generosity and the kindness of Thais to strangers. Here are some examples just from yesterdays 12 hour photo walk.

- had a man in the slum first offer me whiskey and then later when I said I did not drink he offered and kindly forced upon me a bottle of cold water.

- had a man who was working in a truck repair area of Klong Toey offer me a stool to sit on, that's not that big a deal but the seat he offered me was his own! There was only one plastic stool in the area and he stood up to offer it to me.

- When I was walking through the flood waters I got offered 2 rides, one by a young man on a motorcycle the other by an older man in a car, both complete strangers to me.

- When I was going home I was having trouble flagging down a taxi (rush hour) when I asked a driver waiting in a lineup at a Big C shopping center if he would take me, he did not want to but did open the door to his taxi ran out to the street area and waited there for 5 minutes until he could find me a taxi that would help me.