Friday, November 25, 2011

Tired And Sick

Yesterday I was very sick, today I am kinda sick. Last night I must have blown my nose 40 times, had a big pile used tissue next to my bed when I woke up, yuck! I did sleep about 11 hours which helped thou I still felt off when I woke up.

I had to go out and make pictures today thou as I had already had 2 days off, could not afford a 3rd. I thought I would just go do something easy so took the 4x5, 3 lens, the spot meter and 26 holders and headed down to my favorite slum shack canal photo place (photographed there 2 times before). I shot a bit at the shacks then wandered down and did a few portraits of peoples homes and then portraits of some of the people along the canal.  I did not feel much like talking but did my best between sniffles to tell the people I met who I was and why I was there.

At the end of the day I shot some younger boys of around 15 years old who were hanging out in a park. The area was a bit rough, some of the kids were sniffing glue from bags, and kept asking how much my camera was worth, even heard the word kamoy (steal) one time. One man of 30 named Oh who was covered in tattoos seemed like the boss guy there, he talked to me alot and I made his portrait (leg up smoking a cigarette, looking tough!). I gave one drug kid named Chud 10 baht, he kept asking for money (started at 100 baht). I told them I would come back tomorrow with more film. I do not think this area is to safe but its right next to a busy road so hopefully I can get the shots made tomorrow and get out without problems.

I need to get some sleep, felt very tired dragging the camera bag around the slum today, felt like it weighed 100 pounds.