Thursday, November 17, 2011

Homeless In A Slum

Met an old man (do not know his name yet) yesterday who was very drunk sitting at a table not far from the Klong Toey gym. He called me over and started to talk and talk and talk to me. He told me he had no home (imagine being homeless in a slum where the slum shack people are actually the rich folks), and that he slept on a table in the the open air on a nearby raised platform. I will go back and learn more about this man and also try to make some portraits of him, he also introduced me to 3 nearby old ladies who were talking at a very small nearby shack, one of the old ladies was in a wheelchair the other 2 also looked in poor health thou one wore bright lipstick (she laughed when I joked that maybe she learned her english from a farang boyfriend when she was younger), one old lady seemed to be drunk. I need to get to learn more about these peoples lives and make photographs of them as well.  Elderly, living in a slum shack, substance abuse problems? How did this all happen to them? How do they survive on a day to day basis?